The Independent Award Committee of Ethics Resource Centre Nigeria (ERCN) has nominated Comrade Biobelemoye Joy Josiah, National President, Medical and Health Workers’ Union of Nigeria, as Winner of ERCN Health Leadership Impact Award of the Decade (2011 -2020).
According to a statement by the Chairman, Governing Council, Ethics Resource Centre Nigeria, Ike Onyechere, the Health Leadership Award of the Decade was designed to identify, recognize and celebrate CEOs of Health Agencies whose activities made the most outstanding and distinguished impact towards the development of the country in a particular decade.
“After an intensive nomination, screening and assessment process that lasted from June 2019 to July 2020, Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria (MHWUN) under the leadership of Comrade Biobelemoye defeated Eighteen (18) Leaders of Health Sector Agencies to clinch the Award.”
All materials for the assessment are available in the public domain, websites, internet, media reports of events, etc. None of the participating agencies, including the winner, was aware of their being considered for the Award.
The relative impact of the policies, programmes and projects of the agencies within and beyond their core mandates was scrutinized in detail. MHWUN was unanimously voted as winner based on ten factors including:
·Ability to fire up the rank and file of all organs, cadres, leadership and members to buy into implementation of the vision and mission of the union.
· Thinking out of the box to refocus union business for self-reliance with excellent financial management and investments.
· Successfully inspiring and motivating workers to remain on the frontline of healthcare service delivery despite challenges.
· Facilitating the coming together of critical health sector agencies to implement the interagency and multi-stakeholder health security project for the first time in Nigeria.
· Successfully contributing to efforts to promote best practices in public service recruitment and promotion examinations.
· Development of next generation of leaders.
· First health agency in Nigeria to distribute Covid 19 personal protective equipment (PPE) to members.
· Humanitarian and outreach programs to provide support of medical, food and essential materials to less privileged
· Good international brand ambassador and representation in international programs.
· Successful translation of strategic plans into high performance action.